Wednesday, 21 August 2013
Top Wine Trends 2013
Take a look at the significant wine trends that are taking 2013 by storm.
1. According to Sotheby’s Wine America & Asia, there has been a shift in buying trends in Asia. The once popular demand of Chateau Lafite is now replaced with Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. The American market is also showing signs of increase demand by Latin American wine buyers from Brazil and Mexico.
2. Moscato has claimed its dominance over the once popular Zinfandel. The source of the rise in popularity for Moscato wines is unsure; however since being mentioned in some popular songs it seems that they have tripled their gains. Sweet Red wines are also proving to be the sellers these days.
3. Counterfeiting wines remains to be a problem as long as the demand for rare Bordeaux and Burgundies exist. A popular wine fraud suspect, Rudy Kurniawan (aka “Dr. Conti”) made international headlines in 2012 and is now behind bars after he sold millions of dollars’ worth of counterfeit wine.
4. There has been a growth in craft beer consumption and increase of beer sommeliers in restaurants. The young buyers are attracted to the different flavours of beer and are no longer satisfied with simply having a cool refreshing drink in the summer sun. The craft beer market may lead to a drop in the current American wine consumption market.
5. Wine shipping legislations have caused difficulties when it comes to delivering wine around the world. In the US there are 12 states that still don’t allow the wineries to ship wine and 36 states that refuse to allow wine shops to ship.
Shipping wine? Talk to us about our courier services, we could help. Email us today at inquiries@
Image attributed to: FreeDigitalPhotos.com Xedos4